Hello and welcome back to another ‘Best of’ posts, where I round-up my favourite – simple, functional and always well-designed – products for the home. This time I’m tackling minimal, Scandi-style bedside tables with 20 of the best designs under £300 (bar two that just sneak in over the budget). There’s everything from surprise supermarket finds and online bargains to expertly crafted solid oak pieces and timeless design classics – the perfect companions for creating a calm bedroom sanctuary.
For me, I always like to have a bedside table with a drawer, it just makes it so much easier to hide away wires and ugly bits and pieces you don’t want on display. Like a clean desk helps foster a clear mind, so I believe that a minimal, uncluttered bedside table aids a good night’s sleep. We used to have IKEA’s Nordli plain white bedside tables, which have a cleverly hidden shelf for extension cables and a groove in the table leg to hide the wire. Now we have West Elm’s mid-century bedside tables, with two wide drawers providing all that we need for books, cables, lotions and potions.
Below, with that in mind, I’ve selected designs for both form and function, with well over half featuring drawers or some sort of shelf to store items. There’s a mix of warm, wooden designs, sturdy, painted white pieces and pared-back, grey side tables that serve well as bedside tables. Mix and match and embrace the asymmetrical or match your tables to your bed frame for a cohesive look. Add a vase of fresh, fragrant eucalyptus, a couple of good reads, a candle or two and you’ve got yourself all the ingredients for a simple yet stylish bedside.
1. Vikhammer bedside table, £45, IKEA
2. HAY Slit table round, £135, Utility Design
3. Helios solid mango wood and rattan bedside table, £209, Maisons du Monde
4. White Buca bedside table, £75.60, was £120, Debenhams
5. Normann Copenhagen Kabino bedside table, £320, Clippings.com
6. Kartell Componibili cabinet, £77, Heal’s
7. MENU Yeh wall table, £119.95, Clippings.com
8. BJÖRKSNÄS bedside table, £70, IKEA
9. Mid-century bedside table, £299, West Elm
10. Morten bedside table, £269, Heal’s
11. Muuto Halves side table, £299, Skandium
12. Homcom free standing bedside table, £42.99, Tesco
13. Design Project by John Lewis No. 049 1 bedside table, £199, John Lewis
14. HAY Tray Table, £140, Connox
15. Selisa 1 drawer bedside table, £85, La Redoute
16. Nordli bedside table, £60, IKEA
17. Skagerak building table, £319, Skandium
18. Clerkenwell wooden bedside table, £164.50, was £235, Soak & Sleep
19. HAY DLM side table, £135, Amara
20. Trysil bedside table, £25, IKEA